Stones of Stenness

The largest of Orkney's inland lochs, the Loch of Harray and the Loch of Stenness meet at the reedy narrows now spanned by the Bridge of Brodgar and they are separated by two tongues of land. The smaller and lower promontory to the SE is dominated by the henge monument and stone circle known as the Stones of Stenness, but there are also several other standing stones, and the site of the famous Stone of Odin destroyed in 1814.

The Stones of Stenness seem to have been a class 1 henge monument with the addition of central stone circle. The ditch and bank feature is also found at the larger Ring of Brodgar a mile or so to the North West.